Your BCA Team for Council
Dan Johnston was first elected to City Council 1993 after serving on Burnaby’s Parks Commission. It was in his role as Chair of the Commission that he further developed his longstanding passion for environmental initiatives and refined his goal to serve the community and help make Burnaby the green heart of the lower mainland.
He has been re-elected as a Burnaby City Councillor in 1996, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2008 and most recently in 2011.
A Certified General Accountant, Dan has succeeded at combining the expertise of his profession and focus on being financially prudent with his ability to “get things done” as a City Councillor. He is proud of the numerous, innovative environmental initiatives brought forward by Burnaby City Council that now serve as models for cities and regions in the lower mainland and beyond.
Over the years, Dan has played a signficant role on Council with his oversight of a number of important City projects, including the Eileen Dailly Pool, the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Riverway Golf Course, Fire Hall No. 7 and the Tommy Douglas Library.
He has been infuential in the development of Burnaby’s Youth Policy, which gives young people a voice in decisions affecting them and he was also instrumental in introducing the Burnaby Recreation Credit program that provides improved access to recreation services for the financially disadvantaged.
His efforts in working to make the dredging of Burnaby Lake a reality included ensuring the process was environmentally sustainable.
Dan’s role in strengthening Burnaby’s financial position is complimented by his commitment that the City remains financially strong. As a result, Burnaby has been able to maintain one of the lowest tax rate increases in the area. Consistent and prudent financial management and oversight has resulted in Burnaby being in a very strong strong financial position with growing reserves. Wise decision making for now and in the future has allowed the City to build quality public facilities without having to borrow from traditional financial markets – a strategy that benefits Burnaby’s citizens of today and tomorrow.
A Burnaby resident since 1961, Dan lives with his wife and university age son in the Lakeview-Mayview neighbourhood.
In January, 2014, Councillor Johnston was appointed to serve on the following Council Committees and as a Council Liaison or Representative
- Executive Committee of Council – Member
- Audit Committee- Chair
- Finance and Civic Development Committee – Chair
- Community Development Committee – Vice Chair
- Environment Sustainability Strategy Steering Committee – Vice Chair
- Finance Department – Liaison
- Fire Department – Liaison
- Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority Mayor’s Committee – Alternate
- Local Court of Revision – Representative
- Metro Vancouver Board of Directors- Alternate Director
Past Council Appointments
- Council Liaison, Finance Department
- Council Liaison, Corporate Services Department
- Chair, Finance and Civic Development Committee
- Chair, Environment Committee
- Vice-Chair, Community Development Committee
- Past Chair and 18-year member of Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Alternate Director, Metro Vancouver Board
- Member, Metro Vancouver Water Committee
- Member, Lower Mainland Treaty Advisory Committee
In the community
- Founding member, Burnaby Edmonds Lions Club
- Past Grand Knight, current member, Knights of Columbus, Council 8853
- Former board member, New Vista Society
- Former board member, St Michael’s Care Home Society
- Former director, Royal City Burnaby CGA Chapter
- Past treasurer, Seventeenth Centre Lake Cub and Scout Group