Your BCA Team for Council
Pietro Calendino came to Canada from Italy in 1959 to join the rest of his family. He graduated from Britannia High School in Vancouver and went on to achieve two degrees from UBC – Honours Bachelor of Arts and Masters of Arts in Languages – and a teaching certificate from SFU. He worked for 30 years as a teacher.
Along with his wife, Cedna – and their daughter, Victoria Milena, who currently works as an early childhood administrator in Dubai, UAE – the Calendinos have called Burnaby home for 41 years. For most of those years, Pietro has been active in Burnaby politics, always believing in the value of community involvement.
Pietro was first elected to the Burnaby School Board in 1987 and served for 9 years, including two years as Chair. In 1996, he was elected as the MLA for Burnaby North and during that term, served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Small Business, Tourism and Culture. In 2002, he was elected to Burnaby City Council and has been re-elected in 2005, 2008 and 2011.
Pietro recognizes municipal government as the closest level of government to the people and takes great care in helping citizens to access services. He has been very successful in working together with citizen-led initiatives to facilitate progressive changes that benefit the community.
With Burnaby being recognized as a leader in providing great services and low taxes, Pietro’s goals include ensuring that Burnaby remains a fiscal, social and environmental leader. He takes pride in the City’s accomplishments under a BCA majority Council particularly in its abundant green space and fabulous community centres. He admires the efforts of the hundreds of people who are so willing to volunteer their time to make Burnaby a great place to live and welcomes every opportunity to play a role in keeping Burnaby an inclusive, welcoming, safe community in which individuals, families and businesses can thrive.
Working together with Council, City staff and the community, Pietro was instrumental in launching the “Giro di Burnaby” – Burnaby’s largest single sporting event – that brings value to Burnaby citizens and awareness to local businesses. With his council colleagues Pietro has brought to Burnaby dozens cultural events throughout the year for the enjoyment of Burnaby residents under the Festivals Burnaby policy.
He has also been instrumental in moving forward the new jogging track for Confederation Park that recently opened in September. The new track is illuminated, modernized to reduce maintenance and, most importantly, provides a great new venue for year-round activity in Burnaby. As Chair of Burnaby’s Community Policing Committee, Pietro has worked closely with Burnaby Council and staff, citizens, business representatives and the RCMP in launching Burnaby’s Crime Reduction Strategy that has resulted in a significant decrease in all monitored crime types. He has also been instrumental in moving forward the successful Business Watch program launched in Northwest Burnaby.
Pietro has a special affinity for Burnaby’s senior citizens that is reflected in his work on Council, his volunteer efforts and with community groups, including Voices of Burnaby Seniors.
- Volunteer Driver for seniors, Citizens Support Services
- Member, Voice of Burnaby Seniors
- Member, Confederation Seniors Centre
- Honorary Member & Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Club of Burnaby Deer Lake
- Past-Director, Simon Fraser Health Region
- Past-Vice President, National Congress of Italian Canadians
- Past-Director, Burnaby Multicultural Society
- Past-President and Honorary Life Member, British Columbia Heritage Language Association
- Past-President, British Columbia Association of Teachers of Modern Languages
- Bestowed 125th Anniversary Medal of Confederation of Canada and the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for meritorious public service Bestowed Knighthood by the Republic of Italy for community service
- Regional Organizations: Representative – District Community School Advisory & Coordinating Committee
- Alternate Director- Metro Vancouver Board of Directors
- Alternate – New Vista Society
- Representative – Local Court of Revision
- Chair – Executive Committee of Council
- Chair – Community Policing Committee
- Vice Chair – Social Issues Committee
- Member – Community Development Committee
- Member – International Relations & Friendship Cities Committee
- Member – Traffic Safety Committee
- Council Representative – Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Member- Parks Names & Signs Committee
- Liaison – RCMP
- Liaison – School Board
- Liaison – Corporate Labour Relations