Your BCA Team for Council
Sav Dhaliwal was first elected to Burnaby City Council in 2002 and re-elected in 2005, 2008 and 2011. He currently serves as Chair of the Burnaby Parks, Recreation & Culture Commission, a position he has held for the past three years.
Sav has lived in Burnaby for the past 35 years and had been actively involved in youth sports including hockey, soccer and baseball. His volunteer activities with the Burnaby Minor Hockey Association, where he also served as President, were rewarded with a Life Membership in 1997. His efforts in leading initiatives to support the development of the Bill Copeland Arena eventually led to his involvement with the Burnaby Parks Commission.
It was through his volunteer activities and growing leadership roles he became interested in municipal politics, as he witnessed the success of the BCA majority City Council in meeting the needs of the community through a balance of available resources and service requirements.
Since becoming a Burnaby councillor, Sav continues to take on leadership roles at the local, regional and national level. He was appointed to the Board of Metro Vancouver Regional District in 2008, elected as President of the Lower Mainland Local Government Association, as a Metro Vancouver Area Representative on the Union of BC Municipalities Executive , in 2013 elected as First Vice-President of the UBCM executive and as a Committee Member at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. He has also served as a Director, Table Officer and Trustee with the New Vista Society and is a founding member of the Burnaby Edmonds Lions Club.
Sav has been an asset to the Council for his focus on Burnaby’s rich ethnic diversity where the ongoing inclusion of aspects of multiculturalism has been at the forefront of all Council decision-making processes.
In appreciation of his significant contributions to community, Sav has been recognized by the Government of Canada, University of British Columbia & the Goel Family Charitable Foundation, Fiji Association of British Columbia, Chetna Association of Canada and two local Sikh temples for long and outstanding service.
In 2005, Sav retired from a long and successful career in Information Technology at TELUS. Together with his wife Cheryl, Sav most enjoys being a grandparent to four young grandchildren.
In January, 2014, Councillor Dhaliwal was appointed to serve on the following
- Parks, Recreation & Culture Commission -Chair
- Parks Names & Signs Committee-Member
- Simon Fraser Liaison Committee – Member
- Transportation Committee – Vice Chair
- Traffic Safety Committee – Chair
- Local Court of Revision- Member
- Environment Sustainability Strategy Steering Committee- Member
Past Council Appointments
- Chair, Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Chair, Traffic Safety Committee
- Vice-chair, Environment Committee
- Vice-chair, Transportation Committee
- Vice-chair, Mayor’s Task Force on Graffiti
- Member, Simon Fraser Liaison Committee
- Director, Metro Vancouver Board
- Metro Vancouver Agricultural Committee
- Metro Vancouver Environment and Energy Committee
- Past-president, Lower Mainland Local Government Association
- Executive member, Union of British Columbia Municipalities
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Standing Committee on Municipal Finance and Intergovernmental Arrangements
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Standing Committee on Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy